Re-Purposed Trash As... Fine Art? 10 Historical Portraits On Junk That Are Unusually Captivating And Thought-Provoking. #10 Was Definitely Ahead Of Her Time!
The unexpected joys of using old cans for extraordinary picture frames...
This unique series presents historical profiles ironically portrayed on pieces of re-purposed trash. Using mostly flattened out aluminum cans of beer and soft drinks, the artist Kim Alsbrooks presents the viewer with thought-provoking images that create a connection between portraits of well known individuals from a forgotten era with popular images of items from our own era which we also no longer give importance to, namely our forgotten and abandoned trash.
This collection was developed while the artist was living in the Southern US and was finding herself "grappling with prevailing ideas of class". "The White Trash Series was developed while living in the South out of frustration with some of the prevailing ideologies, in particular, class distinction. This ideology seems to be based on a combination of myth, biased history and a bizarre sentimentality about old wars and social structures."
In the selection of photos below, the historical individuals that society once deemed as being valuable are challenged, as we see them as images superimposed on items meant essentially for the trash bin. "With the juxtaposition of the portraits from museums, once painted on ivory, now on flattened trash like beer cans and fast food containers, the artist sets out to even the playing field, challenging the perception of the social elite in today's society."
1. Jane from a forgotten era as an icon on an abandoned Official NFL beer can.
2. Adrianna's portrait on a old soft drink can.
3. Mary Robinson - an image from another generation as a thought-provoking portrait on an a flattened icon from this generation.
4. Phillip - A bygone hero of day's gone by...
5. Mrs. Laura Johnston (1795-1883) A socialite from another era as an icon for a popular fruity drink, long ago thrown in the trash.
6. Alvan Fisher (1782-1863) A bold new face for the king of beers...
7. Alice gracing a can of NFL Kick-off beverages, both from forgotten times.
8. Boy on Coffee Drink
9. Thomas Jefferson (1743-1846) - A man deserving a blue ribbon.
10. Mrs. Ryerson and her flamboyant hairdo on a flattened Colt 45 Malt Liquor can.
Re-repurposed junk as fine art historical portraits.
If you appreciated this article don't forget to share it with your friends on Facebook.
- Show More